Its officially fall which is my favorite season. Squash is a staple food in my diet and I try to eat as much as possible during this time of year. This is a super simple recipe when made with an instant pot. You can also make it in a stock pot but it takes much longer. I like to use a stick immersion blender to blend my soups, but you can use a regular blender as well. I honestly hate pouring hot soup into the blender, the immersion blender was one of the best investments I have made.
This soup can be topped with many different super yummy toppings. I like to use goat yogurt, vegan sour cream, or coconut yogurt. Roasted and salted pumpkin seeds are also a great topping.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Carrot Soup
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes plus time for the instant pot to pressurize
2 Inches of peeled ginger minced
1 Yellow Onion
1 Butternut squash peeled, cut into 2 inch chunks
1 Bag of carrots washed and chopped
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon oil (olive or avocado)
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
3 Cloves of garlic pressed
4 Cups of chicken stock
1/2 Cup of full fat coconut milk
- Turn the Instant Pot on sauté and add the oil, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add thyme, handful of of carrots, and a handful of squash.
- Sauté for 5 minutes stirring irregularly.
- Add chicken stock , the rest of the veggies, minced garlic and ginger.
- Put the lid on the instant pot, press manual or pressure cook and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, manually release the steam through the vent.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Add coconut milk and blend for 10 more seconds.
Notes: If you are cooking this in a stock pot, follow directions up to step 6. At step 6 put a lid on the pot and let the veggies simmer until the squash and carrots are soft which is about 20 minutes. Then blend with an immersion blender or ladle into a regular blender.