Gremolata is essentially an Italian chimichuri. It is used for a topping on meat, vegetables, and pastas. I personally love this recipe on top of veggies and sprinkled on top of pastas. It is super fresh and herb heavy. I currently have an abundance of parsley in my yard so I am using it in as many recipes as possibles. I may have to make some green chicken later this week to use some up. I really love Italian cooking, I briefly lived there for a summer in 2010 and gorged myself on pastas, pizzas, and pastries the whole time I was there. Now that I am gluten and dairy free I am always trying to recreate the recipes I love with healthier ingredients. This recipe is one I totally forgot about until my mom made a hazelnut version for my cousin and aunt who are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. This super simple recipe is delicious and easy to make.
Roasted Pumpkin Seed Gremolata with Green Beans
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 bag of Green Beans
1 cup washed Parsley
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
Zest of 2 Lemons
1 clove of Garlic
1 TBSP Olive oil plus 1 TSP Olive oil for beans
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Spread ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds onto the pan in a thin layer.
- Roast pumpkin seeds for 10 minutes and let cool.
- Prep Green Beans my removing top and steaming for 8-10 minutes until desired softness.
- With a Chef’s knife or other sharp knife, mince the parsley until super fine.
- Place the super finely minced parsley in a bowl and zest both lemons into parsley.
- Mince garlic or use a garlic press, add garlic to bowl with parsley and mix.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the roasted pumpkin seeds so that they are ground into small chunks. You want some texture so don’t grind them too fine.
- Pour Roasted Pumpkin seed crumbs into the parsley mixture.
- Next add 1 TBSP of olive oil and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl add the cooked green beans, 1 TSP olive oil and salt to taste (I use ½ tsp), spoon ½ to ¾ of the Roasted Pumpkin Seed Gremolata onto the beans and mix to combine.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days