I have spent the last several months during the lock down walking my neighborhood. During one of my walks in April I thought about what were some of my favorite things to drink on Cinco de Mayo that I could make a paleo version of. Horchata was the first thing that came to my mind! Last summer I ordered some Horchata at a restaurant forgetting that it has dairy in it and dairy poisoned myself. This version is not only dairy free but rice free as well. It takes over a day to make because you need to let the mixture sit overnight. I would recommend using a high powered blender because grinding nuts is not easy.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Rest Time: 8-12 hours
Servings: Makes about 750 ML or a little over 3 cups
1 ½ cups raw cashews
½ cup chopped almonds
2 cinnamon sticks broken into chunks
4 cups of cold water
1 can coconut milk
3-4 tablespoons maple syrup (add 3 and then taste for sweetness)
- Soak cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Put cashews, almonds, and cinnamon in the blender and blend on high for 60 seconds. This will make a thick paste.
- Add 2 cups of cold water and blend for 30 seconds.
- Add a can of coconut milk, last 2 cups of water, and maple syrup.
- Stir a couple times to dislodge any of the almond and cashew paste that may be stuck to the bottom.
- Let this mixture sit in the fridge for 8-12 hours.
- When ready to drink strain the mixture through a mesh sieve or 2 layers of cheesecloth.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.