I really can’t get enough of local fruit and berries this summer. Between the farmers market and my weekly produce box, my fridge is exploding with local veggies and fruit. For some silly reason I thought it would be a fantastic idea to buy 15 pounds of apricots from the farm I purchase my produce from. After making 15 jars of apricot jam, I still had half of the box left. After eating a ton of them I decided it was time to finally make a crisp. Conveniently I also had a large amount of blackberries from another local farm (Marionberries work too). Personally stone fruit and blackberries are my favorite combo.
My husband is seriously obsessed with all things Crisps. He will eat them for breakfast with yogurt, for desert with ice cream, and probably as a snack too if I let him. I like to make my crisps with Gluten Free Rolled oats. If you can’t do oats then I recommend using Autumns Gold Grain Free Granola as your topping. I am very allergic to dairy and intolerant to gluten so all my recipes will always be free of those things, however I do eat some grains.
I usually use two big bowls when making this, one for the berry mixture and one for the topping. I also like to use a 9×13 glass baking dish to cook this in. When the berry mixture is done i spread it out in an even layer in the glass pan and then top it with the topping mixture. It helps if the topping is also in an even layer.
This takes awhile to bake and cool so I recommend making this ahead of time and reheating in the oven or microwave if you want it hot. I actually like my crisp at room temperature so that the ice cream doesn’t completely melt.
Apricot Blackberry Crisp
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
3 ½ cups apricots cut into chunks
2 cups blackberries
½ cup coconut sugar
1 TBSP tapioca starch
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 cup of oats
1/3 cup coconut flakes
¼ cup almond flour
¼ coconut sugar
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamom
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
½ cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine blackberries and apricots into a large mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, tapioca starch, and coconut sugar.
- Mix till combined and add to a 9X13 glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl add oats, coconut flakes, walnuts, almond flour, coconut sugar, and spices.
- Mix together to combine.
- Pour half of the melted coconut oil over the oat mixture.
- Mix to combine and then pour the rest of the coconut oil over the mixture.
- Spread the oat mixture over the top of the apricot mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes till the top is browned and the inside is bubbling up the sides.
Let sit for 1 hour to cool then enjoy!